Things to Do – Yes, there is more than football!
Indianapolis: Game On!
Indy is the place for sports-lovers. Auto racing, football, basketball, and a myriad of sporting events take place every year at facilities ranked as tops in the United States. Indy is frequent host of the prestigious NCAA Final Four and recently wowed fans attending Super Bowl LXVI. And, of course, the famed Indianapolis 500 is contested each May, thrilling as many as 350,000 fans in attendance.
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) – home to the greatest spectacle in racing, the Indianapolis 500, and all its 100 years of iconic experiences and traditions. NASCAR’s Brickyard 400 lights up the track in mid-summer, and in the fall, the track is vertical and aerial for the Red Bull Air Race.
- IMS Museum –the museum features the world’s largest, most varied collection of racing, classic and antique cars, including more than 30 cars that won the 500. Track tours where you can kiss the bricks and extended Behind the Scenes tour are available. (1-2 hours)
- Indy Racing Experience Victory Laps – Get into a real IndyCar, modified with two seats, and speed around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Your professional driver will give you a thrill of a lifetime. Victory Laps are at comfortable speeds, or you may opt for faster versions. (1-2 hours depending on group size)
- Dallara IndyCar Factory – hop from the track to Main Street, and learn how the IndyCar is made. Feel the rush of adrenaline as you strap on a helmet and slip into a street-legal IndyCar two-seater and take to the streets of Speedway (driven by professional drivers.) (1-1.5 hour)
- Speedway Indoor Karting – also on Main Street, experience indoor road and oval kart racing at Sarah Fisher’s new venture. Sarah is a former IndyCar driver and team owner who knows the “need for speed.” Main Street is also ripe with dining and beverage options, from AJ Foyt’s Wine Vault, to Daredevil Brewing and Big Woods gastropub.
- Lucas Oil Stadium – tour one of America’s premier sports palaces. Home of the Indianapolis Colts, NCAA Final Fours and Super Bowl XLVI. Visit the Colts gift shop for souvenirs. Colts game tickets are available through their group sales department. (1.5 hour)
- Bankers Life Fieldhouse – home of the NBA Indiana Pacers and WNBA Indiana Fever, tours showcase Indiana’s passion for basketball, affectionately known as Hoosier Hysteria. Gift shop inside. Game ticket packages available. (1 hour tour, 2.5 hours for games)
- Hinkle Fieldhouse – a U.S. National Historic Landmark, it was a location for one of the greatest sports movies ever made, Hoosiers, and is home to NCAA Final Four Cinderella team, the Butler University Bulldogs. (30 minutes-1 hour for tour, 2.5 hours for games)
- NCAA Hall of Champions – no Indy sports tour is complete without a visit to the Hall of Champions, showcasing student-athletes who contest 24 collegiate-level sports. Interactive displays and activities include a 1930s retro basketball gymnasium. (1-1.5 hours)
- Victory Field – AAA baseball’s Indianapolis Indians play here overlooking a spectacular view of downtown Indy. It is one of the nation’s top ballparks according to Baseball America and Sports Illustrated. Get to a game April-August. (3 hours for game)